Medical Laboratory Assistant
We are seeking a qualified, knowledgeable, and detail-oriented Medical Laboratory Assistant to join our exceptional team.
Our hospital offers a challenging, fast-paced, work environment where teamwork and high-quality care is at the heart of what we do. Through our comprehensive approach, we are able to provide the opportunity to practice gold standard medicine. As a 24/7 emergency and referral hospital, we handle an exciting and diverse caseload, inspiring learning and growth.
As a Lab Assistant you will play a key role in the testing and diagnostic process for a wide range of patients.The right person for this role is an organized and meticulous individual with good problem solving and communication skills.The Medical Laboratory Assistant will be required to perform a variety of duties associated with laboratory tests and analysis.
- Delivering blood to the laboratory
- Sorting samples received from outside
- Recording samples and patient information in the laboratory information system and ordering tests requested
- Ensuring proper samples are collected and submitted for specific testing
- Centrifuging samples
- Preparing samples for analysis (blood films, PCVs, separating serum/plasma)
- Packing samples for transport to other testing locations (transportation of dangerous goods)
- Receiving and entering lab results from other testing facilities
- Maintaining laboratory inventory
- Coordinating blood donor appointments
- Performing routine laboratory checklists (temperature logs, appropriate cleaning of analyzers)
- Running routine tests on CBC and chemistry analyzers
Please note that this position requires occasional lifting/moving. It may warrant continuous standing, bending, stretching/and or reaching (sometimes in awkward positions) to retrieve patient specimens.
Please note veterinary-specific experience/certification is not a requirement for this position.
- Graduation from a recognized program in Phlebotomy or Medical Laboratory Assistance is required
- Current and continuing certification with the Canadian Society for Laboratory Sciences (CSMLS) as a Medical Laboratory Assistant is required
- An agreeable record of work performance is required
- Training or experience in basic lab techniques
We are a hospital that cares strongly for our patients and also for our staff. Outside a team that works together like family day-to-day, work–life balance is strongly encouraged and supported.
To secure long-term, happy employees, VSCNL offers:
- Fair, Competitive Wages
- Health, Dental and Visual Benefits
- Annual Uniform Allowance• CE Allowance
- Matching RRSPs
- Subsidized Pet InsuranceVSCNL is an equal opportunities employer.
All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, merit, and business need.
EXPERT CARE, CLOSE TO HOME
Dr. Bailey’s goal in opening VSCNL was that no pet owner would have to leave the province to get the care their pet needs. We have the only board-certified surgeon and radiologist in the province, a CT scanner, offer chemotherapy, run a canine blood donor program and have the only ICU that is fully staffed 24 hours a day. When it comes to diagnosing and treating the pets of Newfoundland and Labrador, there is nothing we can’t do!
The Veterinary Specialty Centre of Newfoundland and Labrador is the province’s only specialty referral centre and 24-hour, full-service emergency clinic.
Located in the St John’s area of Newfoundland, our staff are able to enjoy their downtime experiencing a wide variety of activities. From hiking trails and other outdoor adventures, whale watching and historical sites, to a vibrant downtown area with world-renowned restaurants, a thriving arts community, and a varied social scene, St John’s offers something for everyone.
For more information or to apply, please contact Lisa Janes at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!
Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT)
Do you enjoy a fast-paced work environment? Do you enjoy a challenge, and the opportunity to apply all the skills you learned in school? Are […]
Veterinary Emergency Doctor
We are seeking a passionate and skilled Emergency Doctor to extend our exceptional team. Our hospital offers a challenging, fast-paced, work environment where teamwork and […]